Friday, July 3, 2009

Gastric Sleeve Surgery

So, last week on the 25th of June, I had Gastric Sleeve surgery. The basic explanation of this surgery is the doctor goes in and makes 5 small incisions on the torso and performs the surgery laproscopically. A small tube shaped stomach is stapled off from your original stomach and then the remaining 80% is taken completely out of the body. This surgery is still in it's "experimental" stages and not covered under any insurances but it seemed like the one for me.
Last Thursday I went into the hospital at 1 pm, I waited for a while then was taken back to the Pre-op area. I had to pee in a cup and then was weighed and came in at 307 lbs. Then I got to put on some SEXY outfit they had picked out, complete with the open ass gown and TIGHTS haha yeah it was great! The surgeon and the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me and stuff. Then the nurse came in and put in the IV and it was show time. They came buy and gave me some medicine to make me a little drowsy while they rolled me into the operating room and then once I was in there I was out. Woke up in recovery and don't really remember much of that first day.
I had a nose tube and stomach tube, but the first night I got up to go to the bathroom and the nose tube came out on its own which was really scary! Anyway I had to go and have the "swallow test" where they make sure there aren't any leaks in your stomach and I passed which was great. So then I got to have some water FINALLY. But it was really weird at first to eat, I had some chicken broth but only like 2 oz.
Anyway, the next day I got to come home but I still had my stomach tube which was a complete pain in the ass.
So here I am a week later, Wednesday I went to the doctor to have my stomach tube removed which was great! Now, I'm just healing up the incisions and eating on a strict "full liquid" diet, which is basically soup, oatmeal, juice, applesauce, yogurt, jello, popcicles and protein shakes. But the good news is, I was weighed on Wednesday and I've lost 6.5 lbs, in a week :) YAY! So yeah, I'll update this no matter if anyone reads it or not, I want to document everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment